This barrier is unrelated to the end of the transition period, following the United Kingdom's departure from the EU.

Public ID: PID-94LMM9

Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certification needed for electrical products

in Canada

Trade barrier summary

UK companies exporting electrical products to Canada must get CSA certification. The certification process requires product and part testing and evaluation. They must also get a licence to use the CSA mark after the process is completed and approved.

The process to getting a CSA certification is costly and time-consuming which can make selling products in Canada less profitable for UK firms. There can also be continuing costs due to a requirement to re-certify all parts if any new parts are used or suppliers are changed.

Sectors affected

  • Advanced engineering
  • Consumer and retail
  • Energy
  • Technology and smart cities



Date reported

19 January 2021

Last updated

1 June 2022

Public ID


Back to search results

If a trade barrier is affecting your exports or investment from the UK, please let us know on report a trade barrier .

If you export goods you can check duties and customs procedures for your chosen market.